Answer Last Updated: Sep 09, 2020 Views: 2851
The vast majority of Healey Library's electronic resources are available online through UMBrella and can be accessed using your campus email username and password.
Faculty, students, and staff need a Healey Library barcode in order to check out physical items from the library (books, DVDs, etc.) and request items through interlibrary loan (ILL).
Note: your Healey Library barcode is different from your student ID or UMS number.
How do I get a library barcode?
- The first step in getting a library barcode is applying for a UMass Boston BeaconCard. Your library barcode is printed on the back of your BeaconCard. (If you have an older UMass Boston ID card, library staff can assign you a barcode manually.)
- Next, your library barcode will need to be activated.
- If you are a STUDENT, your library barcode will be automatically activated in the library and interlibrary loan systems within 48 hours from when your BeaconCard is processed.
- If you are a FACULTY or STAFF MEMBER, please call the Circulation Desk at 617.287.5900 or email Library.Circulation@umb.edu to activate your barcode. Once activated by library staff, your barcode will be activated within the interlibrary loan systems within 48 hours.
- Students, faculty, and staff who are studying and working remotely, and who do not have a BeaconCard, may call the Circulation Desk at 617.287.5900 or email Library.Circulation@umb.edu to be assigned a barcode. Please have your UMS ID number and your mailing address ready for confirmation.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) accounts
- New ILL users: An active library barcode is required to use the ILL service. If you recently acquired a BeaconCard, it will take 48 hours for the library barcode to be available for logging into the ILL system.
- Replacement barcodes: If you have received a replacement library barcode and you have active ILL requests associated with your old barcode, please email email@example.com both the old barcode and new barcode number. We will merge your accounts; this way you will be able to see all your requests under your new account and renew your loans as well!
Affiliate Users (Sponsored Affiliates/Contingent Workers)
- Campus departments can grant Affiliate User status to individuals working as consultants, community partners, or in interinstitutional collaborations.
- University policies and licensing arrangements require that a Contingent Worker status be established for these individuals.
- The sponsoring department should arrange for this status by following the process outlined through Contingent Workers section of the Human Resources Forms page.
- The Contingent Worker Status must be created for the Affiliate User to appear in the library system before a library barcode can be issued.
Library Services Delivered Remotely
We've Got You Covered!
Even though the Healey Library building is closed during UMass Boston's period of remote learning, Library services continue! The staff of Healey Library are here to support you remotely with research help, course reserves, and so much more.
Access Library services and resources:
Stay up-to-date with Library updates and announcements: blogs.umb.edu/library/continuity
Please email Library.Circulation@umb.edu with any questions!