Answer Last Updated: Jul 29, 2016 Views: 1399
Current and historical averages are available through the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) web site. You need to create a free account with Dow Jones in order to see the information
The Historical Statistics of the United States contains common stock prices, DJIA, NYSE and S&P indexes. You can download an Excel file of the data in Historical Abstracts.
- Common stock prices: 1802-1999
- Stock market indicators: 1919-1939
Here are a few free web resources that might help you find historical stock prices:
- Yahoo! Finance - Look under the "Investing" section for the stocks research center; includes current and historical quotes, company information, and analyst coverage. Only includes currently active stock
- BigCharts - Besides other investment info, this site offers historical stock closing prices back to 1981; enter a ticker symbol and a date to look up the price on that date. Only includes currently active stock
- Dow Jones Averages - Info on the various Dow Jones' indexes and their components; historical data is presented in graph and narrative form. Free registration is required.